Monday, September 28, 2009

Oh, Homework. How You Evade Completion...

See, I should be working on my essay right now. I really should. It's due tomorrow. And worth a hundred points. And I've barely started on it. And yet...I can't bring myself to do it. Mostly because I have absolutely NO idea what to write about. The reasons for Dimmsdale to not have died from atropine poisoning and instead due to a guilty conscience and complete fear of becoming an outcast in his Puritan society simply aren't becoming clear to me.
After all, the secret completely eats at him all the time. He can barely do his work, let alone survive day to day without revealing anything. It would surely be common sense for him to go to the doctor - i.e. Chillingworth - who would then give him medicine. Unfortunately, though, medicine in that time period has rarely been known to work, and despite the desperate wishes of Dimmsdale to have the strength to reveal his adultery, it only comes to him in his last breaths of life. "But he fought back the bodily weakness, and still more the faintness of heart, - that was striving for the mastery with him... he tore away the [robe]. ... It was revealed! ... the minister stood, with a flush of triumph in his face, as one who, in the crisis of acutest pain, had won a victory" (Hawthorn 228). Dimmsdale manages to reveal the terrible brand (or wound or rash or whatever it may be) upon his chest.

...But anywho. Drew is about to show up back here s....oops he's here. O.o

No comments: